Wednesday 25 September 2013

Sam Taylor-Wood




I watched a short film about Sam Taylor-Wood today. Although I consider myself an open-minded person, my first initial thoughts were 'oh, here we go...' By the end I was in awe with what she does and how she thinks. It reminded me of the talk we had a few days ago about art and context. I realised that at the beginning I had the frame of mind of 'well, what's so good about that?' Something that I dislike in people, I found in myself. I found myself judging this artist the first second by seeing one thing that she had done. It took her to explain and talk through why she does things that switched my brain on. Her work became complex to me and full of meaning. I especially like the progression of her moving onto separate films in big studios interacting with each other on different walls. It gave an awareness of space and how easily someone can interfere with it which I can so easily relate to. 


This has influenced me hugely and has taught me that things can progress to something you could never expect at the start. Art is used as an expression regardless of how it is projected and this has taught me that people need to remember that.

 


T
This is the short film exhibited at the White Cube in London showing an argument between two people. It stresses the importance of personal space and how easily it can become obstructed. www.whitecube.com/exhibitions/samtaylorwood


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages