Wednesday 25 September 2013

Dolphinholme Trip: What I want to do

On Tuesday 1st October we are going to Dolphinholme in Lancashire. We will be staying overnight in a yurt on a farm. It excites me that I will be able to experiment with the natural surroundings I will have around me. I am looking forward to doing observational drawing and trying out different techniques. I have researched numerous artists such as John Virtue, Anselm Kiefer, Andy Goldsworthy, Richard Long and Michael Andrews - all of whom respond to landscape in different ways. I will be drawing, painting, collaging and photographing. I can also experiment with 3D and make things from what I find foraging around the area which I would then proceed to capture photographs of.
There will also be a musical artist playing. I can tune into the lyrics and the emotion which I will enjoy illustrating onto paper.
Overall, I am looking forward to this trip. I will be focussing on art all day around nature and all of the forms it chooses to present me. The weather and the lighting will influence the ideas and the ability of what I am going to do. I am positive that I will get the most out of this experience.

John Virtue 

John Virtue likes creates his art purely monochrome. I like that his drawings are polluted and unclear. He uses charcoal, ink and watercolour to create these images. I will enjoy using this technique 



Anselm Kiefer

Anselm Kiefer sculpts and creates art using materials such as straw, ash, flowers, paint and many other things that he finds. His work is very influential and I can refer back to his images when looking for inspiration around the area. I am looking forward to this. 

Andy Goldsworthy 

Andy Goldsworthy carefully sculpts objects from the area in which he is to create pristine abstract images that are focussed around spirals and spherical shapes.

Richard Long

Like Goldsworthy, Richard Long similarly sculpts and creates land art. What makes him different is how he presents his work in studios. They are very accurate and clean. This contrasts to Goldsworthy whom approaches a very natural feel to his work.


Michael Andrews

I love the use of water colour in Andrews' paintings. They give a fantastical interpretation on landscapes. I enjoy using watercolour as it is my preferred medium however I am making sure my mind is open for other mediums of art like the previous artists I have researched.

Untitled (Landscape with Waterfall, Scotland II) by Michael Andrews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages