Tuesday 17 September 2013

3D - Spot welding

This morning I did spot welding. Although it is a 3D subject, I created a 2D image that could hang on a wall or lean against something as this way my piece and its message is shown a lot clearer.
I learnt about the consistency of the wire, if the welder is too hot and the wire is too thin, it will snap instantly. I also learnt how to use the welder successfully.

"Be yourself, but listen to me."

I got the idea of the text along with the simplistic human form from the photograph I captured and altered where the subject is preaching to the masses. It reminded me of the propaganda on our televisions today, all speaking to us and telling us how it is, we are reminded that we have freedom of opinion however this is continuously being challenged. This is why I gave the character an angry expression. Annette Messager creates a lot of text using the wire. The style of text is similar to how I design my text in paintings I have done in the past. Although I didn't achieve a design similar to hers, I still gained a great deal of inspiration from researching her and her work.

The character in between the text is simplistic which makes it easier to understand. Like Picasso, although his abstract work consists of complex shapes, his images overall come across as simple.

Picasso


Annette Messager



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages