Tuesday 10 September 2013

Museum and Art Gallery

Religion

Looking around the museum today, I saw a great deal of pieces with religious meaning behind them, all of them beautifully crafted and designed. It made me wonder what makes them different to one another.

Although I am not religious, I can still open my mind towards the purposes and beliefs (whether I agree with them or not) behind them. I know that a lot of religions all share the same message; to love and respect one another. How can I interpret this? I could create a God from the features of all the Gods that already exist; this could represent the idea that beneath everything they are all the same, they all have the same purpose.                                                                                                           

Whilst looking at the texts and pieces of art, I wondered what people thought during the times they were made. The majority of people revolved their lives around religion. This contrasts massively to today and it disappoints me that a lot of people no longer take the time to appreciate the message these old scripts and paintings were made to give out. Today, people are a great deal more close-minded and easily manipulated to other people’s views. To depict these thoughts I am going to start with a quick sketch of my first idea which will eventually evolve into a watercolour. I am going to draw different Gods from different religions all queuing up to a house in the society of today to share the same message. There will be someone at the window peeking round their curtains trying not to be seen. The person will have a lot of frustration on their face. They do not have time to listen to a stranger talk about peace and love. Society today is happier to bury their heads in the sand whilst there is fighting, destruction and famish going on all around them. People take a lot of negativity from religion and extremists have altered people’s views greatly. We forget the positive counselling that their messages can give to us.

Also during my look around the museum, I couldn’t help but notice the book of fables. This interested me and made me want to create my own fable with illustrations to complement it. This idea could perhaps link to the religion aspect of my ideas.

Overall, the ideas I have gained from the museum could be deemed as very controversial, it may or may not relate to a lot of people’s views of which I can express in numerous different ways. I have a collection of images from the artefacts shown in the museum. I will be using these to design detailed drawings with a message behind them.



 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages