Tuesday 13 May 2014

MDF

Today I visited B&Q to get some MDF. I think MDF will be the perfect material to use for the creation of my boxes. It isn't too hard nor is it too soft and it is easy to paint on as I will want to cover it white. There were variations of thicknesses of which I had to pick one. I went for quite a thick piece as I want the blocks to be sturdy. Originally I wanted them cut 4x4 inches. This wasn't accessible as the guillotine wasn't able to cut down that small so the staff cut it down as much as they could. This got me thinking; do I really want 4x4 squares? I need to remember I'm depicting a story and this needs to be clear for when it's exhibited. The most the B&Q staff could cut it down to is 4x12 inches. I decided to stick with this size, resulting in having a block each per set of poems (request and response). Once I got home, I painted them white using matte emulsion paint. 
Some blocks still need cutting for the sides, I can do this in college with the help of Bill the Technician using the jigsaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages