Tuesday 29 October 2013

Day 4: Castle of Good Hope and The Art Museum

Today we visited the oldest building in South Africa; the Castle of Good Hope. This gave me the opportunity to draw the soldiers who were based there. The students who were filming the soldiers were asked to stop because they thought we were collecting footage of them in a negative way. This says a lot about the media and how things can be manipulated so easily.



The Art Museum

There were a few artists that caught my attention at the museum.

Diane Arbus was a photographer who captured black and white portraits of people in different scenarios. You can read a lot about the subject in just one picture. When I visit the townships I will bare this artist in mind, her work is emotive and narrative.


Penny Siopis' painting 'Wreckage upon Wreckage' caught my attention. Her use of sculpting and collaging gave the illusion that you could walk into the painting. It made me think about society and how we don't make things better, we simply 'brush things under the carpet.'


Keith Dietrich focusses on watercolour paintings. I was amazed at how realistic his paintings were, the detail was immaculate.




I also captured some photographs of baby Egyptian Geese that were outside of the museum.





We made a quick visit to a public garden on our way back to the hotel.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages