Saturday 26 October 2013

Day 1: Johannesburg - Soweto

Soweto







Regina Mundi Catholic Church

Once we arrived in Johannesburg we immediately travelled to Soweto to visit the Regina Mundi Catholic Church, the largest Roman Catholic church in South Africa. We came across a man who began to inform us all about the history of the building, I started to sketch him and write down quotes that I thought were powerful and emotive. The church played a big role during the anti-apartheid movement, we stood where Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu stood during that time. The damage caused by the authorities during this time are still there today. Bullet holes and smashed slabs made me understand and envision the reality of what the young people faced.

Hector Pieterson Museum

The Hector Pieterson Museum was built as a memorial for Pieterson who was shot and killed along with many others during the Soweto uprising in 1976. I took this time to sit and draw some of the artefacts displayed. There were films shown all around the museum of the riots and the protests. The brutality and force that the government put on the citizens is expressed massively throughout the museum and has given me a lot to think about and to reflect on.

Nelson Mandela's house

Now a museum, Nelson Mandela's house was full of interesting memorabilia. I enjoyed reading the letters that he had once wrote. His house was like a small time capsule, portraying the message everywhere about freedom and peace.

Interview with Bernard 

Although I don't do media, I didn't pass on the opportunity to attend an interview which the media students were going to film. Rather than filming, I drew Bernard and noted down sentences that stuck out to me. He was massively involved with the children during the apartheid struggle and his story was hugely interesting to listen to.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages